Lucia's Reviews > Pandemonium

Pandemonium by Lauren Oliver

Mar 02, 12

Read from February 24 to March 02, 2012

Read the full review at iLive, iLaugh, iLove Books.

Ladies and gentlemen, I would just like you to know that I am screaming. That's what this book made me feel like. I finished it, and these were my thoughts:

OHMIGOODNESSWHATTHEHECKJUSTHAPPENED? *head explodes*

Alright, so maybe my head is still is fine condition. But that was a pretty good representation of what I felt. This book was amazing. If you loved Delirium, you are going to want to eat this one. (Apparently "eat" is above "love" on my emotional scale. I don't see anything wrong with that.)

The book is told alternatively between the present and the past. Not the past-past. Noooo. That old Lena is dead. Whatever happened in Portland is gone. We have parts where Lena is in the Wilds, just newly escaped from the bordered community. And then we have the present, which involves the resistance and all those big guns. Some of it was boring, and the beginning was pretty slow. While I enjoyed reading about the homestead (that's basically a camp for the Invalids), I wanted to skip some of the snail-pace parts.

Despite its slow start, this book starts fast forwarding very quickly and the words just hit you like BAM! BAM! BAM! (I'm sorry, but I'm finding a hard time describing this book.) Every single word was a twist in my heart. You have no idea (until you've read this book) how Lauren Oliver has the ability to hold your very heart in your hand and stretch it to her will. Kind of a scary image, yes, but kind of the best I can give you. Her writing is beautiful and descriptive, and kind of just flows over you like water. There were parts that left me breathless and all adrenaline-filled, like I just ran a marathon. I was pretty much on the edge of my seat the entire time. (That was a metaphor; the majority of it was read while lying in bed like the lazy person I am.)

And the ending. I don't know how much of it you have heard about, but I will not ruin it for you, because I am a nice person. But WOOOOOOW. After I read that last word, I just kinda of stared at the book with my mouth open. And then my dad made me go to bed, but I kind of just lay in bed for a few hours, thinking. And staring at the dark ceiling. Honestly, 2013 cannot get here any faster.

My thoughts? Read. This. Book. While it has a dystopian-ish feel, this book is definitely all about the romance, which Oliver does beautifully. You should definitely read it. I'm having trouble forming words right now, because my brain is still mush, so that's all I can think of.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pandemonium.

Quotes Lucia Liked

Lauren Oliver
“Sometimes I feel like if you just watch things, just sit still and let the world exist in front of you - sometimes I swear that just for a second time freezes and the world pauses in its tilt. Just for a second. And if you somehow found a way to live in that second, then you would live forever.”
Lauren Oliver, Pandemonium

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Wendy Darling Aww.

Lindsay I know what you mean. My heart is just dying to know if Alex lived and if Lena will go after him and save him!

Louisa It does have him listed as a character, and I don't think they'd do that if he was just mentioned because he was dead, or that he dies in this one. They wouldn't be that mean, would they? He just really needs to be alive!!!!!

Cornelia the end! omg. I didn't think this was going to happen. never. but then I guess it really needed a cliffhanger. AND NOW I CAN'T WAIT FOR 2013!

Sydney OMG im sooo happy u like it!!! but i just cant stand the thought that alex is dead!!! i refuse to believe that!!! awww i love alex.... is he alive????!?!?!?... wait dont tell me.... but alas sadness

Lucia Phoebe in Wonderland wrote: "the end! omg. I didn't think this was going to happen. never. but then I guess it really needed a cliffhanger. AND NOW I CAN'T WAIT FOR 2013!"

My life will never be complete until I know what happens, lol!

Lucia Sydney wrote: "OMG im sooo happy u like it!!! but i just cant stand the thought that alex is dead!!! i refuse to believe that!!! awww i love alex.... is he alive????!?!?!?... wait dont tell me.... but alas sadness"

I KNOW. The thought of Alex dead was just inconceivable to me at the end of Delirium! I wanted to kill something!

Of course I will not tell you anything that happens! You will have to read and find out for yourself. But it was amazing, IMHO.

Sydney Haha me 2!! Thx.... im half way thru!! Thx 4 giving me HOPE!!!!

Sydney OMG the ending is AMAZBALLS!!!!!! AHHHHHH YAYAY ITS HAPPY NOT SAD:) ONLY A YEAR LEFT TILL NEXT 1!! BOO

Lucia Sydney wrote: "OMG the ending is AMAZBALLS!!!!!! AHHHHHH YAYAY ITS HAPPY NOT SAD:) ONLY A YEAR LEFT TILL NEXT 1!! BOO"

I can't decide if I'm Team Julian or Alex. I love both! It's been a year since I've read Delirium, though. May have to re-read!

Lucia SORRY GUYS, DIDN'T MEAN TO SPOIL THINGS!!! :(

Sydney haha SPOILER

Lucia Sydney wrote: "haha SPOILER
IM totally team ALEX!!!!!! Im kinda in love with him... yeh i have to reread it to!!"

We'll just have to wait and see how it turns out, because I have no idea what's going to happen!

Sydney i kno!! i went into it hating any guy that would dare steal Lena from Alex so i went in bias... I<3Alex

Cornelia Lucia wrote: "Phoebe in Wonderland wrote: "the end! omg. I didn't think this was going to happen. never. but then I guess it really needed a cliffhanger. AND NOW I CAN'T WAIT FOR 2013!"

My life will never be co..."

yes. same here. I did not think for a second it would end this way. Part two, I mean.

Teresa Mary Rose I love how you describe your feelings after reading the book, cause I felt the same! I think I read the last page 800 times just to try and wrap my head around it.

Lucia Teresa wrote: "I love how you describe your feelings after reading the book, cause I felt the same! I think I read the last page 800 times just to try and wrap my head around it."

How could Lauren do this to us?? Requiem needs to come out NOW!

Rumana I am so excited for the next one! Can't wait! I read the book before going to bed too and I just kept thinking about the ending! Ahhh!! So excited! Great review!

Lucia Rumana wrote: "I am so excited for the next one! Can't wait! I read the book before going to bed too and I just kept thinking about the ending! Ahhh!! So excited! Great review!"

It was kind of unforgettable. :)

message 20: by Tara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tara My thoughts exactly upon finishing it!!! I screamed out loud and was thinking "I have to wait almost another year to find out what happens!?!"

Jennifer 2013?? Well now I know the end of the world won't come in 2012 because I will not be annihilated without reading what happens with Alex and Lena. I just can't, I won't tolerate it. Gosh Lauren you couldn't have thrown in an extra chapter for emergency apocalyptic measures? WARNING: DO NOT READ UNLESS WORLD IS GOING UNDER :WARNING. I mean seriously a little compassion for our fragile book devouring souls would be nice *sniffle sniffle* ok then I'm done ranting, just going back under my rock, see you in 2013...

Lucia Jennifer wrote: "2013?? Well now I know the end of the world won't come in 2012 because I will not be annihilated without reading what happens with Alex and Lena. I just can't, I won't tolerate it. Gosh Lauren you ..."

Haha, that would've been nice! You should send her a letter. :) If that doesn't work, we can turn to more drastic measures. Like show up at her doorstep...