Kim's Reviews > Magic Burns

Magic Burns by Ilona Andrews

Feb 08, 2015

bookshelves: favourites, paranormal, vampires, fairy-tales-and-myths, comfort-reads, urban-fantasy, want-to-reread, shapeshifters
Read from June 17 to 19, 2011

I absolutely adore this book! I cannot remember the last time I laughed so much. While the series certainly wouldn't be labelled a "humour" book, the one-liners and tension filled conversations are insanely funny, that you can't help wanting more.

Magic Burns takes us further into the world of shifting power and magic. We get a better understanding of how society is constantly shifting between tech and magic, as though on a pendulum swinging between the two zones. Magic is taking over throughout the book, leaving less time in the tech zone and causing quite a few problems because of it.

Kate is an amazing protagonist. She is loyal and fierce and I love that she can't seem to control what words come out of her mouth. Despite realising just how much trouble her mouth gets her in, there's an unstoppable need to say the first thing that comes to mind. Her fighting skills are amazing, I wouldn't want to come up against her. I love Slayer, it's the coolest sword ever. And yet, she's got some super power magic mystery going on. I think I've managed to piece together some of the mystery, but there are still parts left undisclosed.

I love how the characters keep developing. Derek was a young wolf in Might Bite and has turned into someone loyal, protective and dangerous. Saiman, god I love him, he's so crazy you can't escape him, and I find it interesting how different he is from everyone else, magic affects him deeper, makes me wonder what he'll do next. And Curran - sweet, funny, fierce, sexy, in control Curran - Can't get enough of this man.

Can't wait to get into Magic Strikes.

5/5 stars
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Magic Burns.

Quotes Kim Liked

Ilona Andrews
“Not only will you sleep with me, but you will say 'please.'"
I stared at him, shocked.
The smile widened. "You will say 'please' before and 'thank you' after."
Nervous laughter bubbled up. "You've gone insane. All that peroxide in your hair finally did your brain in, Goldilocks.”

Ilona Andrews
“The vampire stared at me, his mouth slack as Ghastek assessed his options. I took a couple of forms from my desk, put them into the vamp's mouth, and pulled them up by their edges.
"What are you doing?" Ghastek asked.
"My hole puncher broke."
"You have no respect for the undead.”

Ilona Andrews
“We were screwed and he didn't even kiss us first.”

Ilona Andrews
“If he full-out flexed, I would probably faint, or jump off the building.”

Ilona Andrews
“Need some help, Ass Kicker?”

Ilona Andrews
“You're an interesting woman."
"Your interest has been duly noted.”

Ilona Andrews
“I chuckled to myself and kept walking. The Universe had proven Curran wrong: a person who aggravated him more than me did, in fact, exist.”

Ilona Andrews
“I'm secure enough in myself to wear panties with bows on them. Besides, they are comfy and soft."
"I bet." He almost purred.
I gulped.”

Ilona Andrews
“He put the book down. “As you wish.” He rose and walked past me. I lowered my sword, expecting him to pass, but suddenly he stepped in dangerously close. “Welcome home. I’m glad you made it. There is coffee in the kitchen for you.”
My mouth gaped open.
He inhaled my scent, bent close, about to kiss me…
I just stood there like an idiot.
Curran smirked and whispered in my ear instead. “Psych.”
And just like that, he was out the door and gone.
Oh boy.”

Ilona Andrews
“How much are you lifting?"
"Seven hundred."
Alrighty then. I will just stand over here, out of your way, and hope you don't remember to kick my ass.
He grinned. "Wanna spot me?"
"No thanks. How about I just scream verbal encouragements at you?" I took a deep breath and barked, "No pain, no gain! That pain is just weakness leaving your body! Come on! Push! Push! Make that weight your bitch!”

“Secret to what?"
"Secret to shutting you up," he said. "I just have to beat you till you're half-dead, then give you chicken soup and"--he raised his hands--"blessed silence.”

Ilona Andrews
“You were joking about the whole please and thank you thing, right?"
"Meant every word." A little light danced in his eyes and he very deliberately said, "Baby."
He laughed. "You should see your face right now."
"Don't call me that."
"Would you prefer 'darling'? Or maybe 'cupcake'?" He winked.”

06/18/2011 page 54
21.0% "Oh Kate, you're so cool. Definitely don't want to come up against you in a sword fight."
06/18/2011 page 90
35.0% ""So that's the secret." "Secret to what?" "Secret to shutting you up," he said. "I just have to beat you till you're half-dead, then give you chicken soup and" - he raised his hands - "blessed silence.""
06/19/2011 page 135
52.0% "Yay, more Saiman! He's crazy cool, reminds me of Mrynin from Morganville."