MJ Nicholls's Reviews > No One Belongs Here More Than You

Apr 12, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: short-stories, merkins, distaff
Read from April 12 to 14, 2011

A selection of warm and witty stories, marred only by their samey voice and random feel. I have no doubt Ms July is an impeccable craftswoman, but there is meandering of a dangerous nature here, prominent enough to override any structural cleverness. On the whole: worth your attention. Standouts include “Mon Plaisir,” “The Swim Team” and “How to Tell Stories to Children.” The tone: bare-toothed kook with a splash of wisdom. July is a rich filmmaker so we don’t want her being too talented a prose writer now, do we?

Available, rather oddly in a choice of pink, yellow or green. My choice was made for me by swapping it for AL Kennedy’s On Bullfighting. A worthy swap, but it will clash in the summer.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read No One Belongs Here More Than You.

07/12/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by MJ (new) - rated it 3 stars

MJ Nicholls Really imaginative cover. Sheesh.

Mariel But you could pick between pink and yellow! I think I picked the hot pink because I didn't have a lot of hot pink represented on my bookshelf at the time.

message 3: by MJ (last edited Apr 13, 2011 01:50AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

MJ Nicholls Oh I see, you had a choice in the shoppes. I got this in an online swap so was stuck with yellow.

Mariel I have to agree with Cruella. I hate anthologies. It has to be a collection with a related feeling (something like Nine Stories or Winesburg, Ohio).

message 5: by MJ (last edited Apr 14, 2011 06:38PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

MJ Nicholls I have to respectfully disagree, I love discovering new writers in collections or anthologies. I came across July in McSweeney's, though not in a lewd sense. And having said that, I don't read them often. I am a novel man, mainly.

I never felt the narrators here were anything other than July's own voice, which doesn't really demonstrate a mastery of the form, though we might call it a "unique style." But when she's being a sixty-year-old paedophile, she should sound like one. Amen.

message 6: by Nate D (new)

Nate D I tend to use stories as "singles" that lead me to check out a whole album (typically a novel).