Katie - The Literary Files's Reviews > Tweak: Growing Up On Methamphetamines

Tweak by Nic Sheff

Apr 14, 2011

bookshelves: reviews
Read on April 12, 2011

I read Nic Sheff's blog in the past and fell immediately in love with his writing so I have no idea why it took me until he was coming to town to pick up Tweak. I have a family member who has/ is struggling with drugs, who I never really got the chance to know because of it. After finishing Tweak I realized that I connected with a lot of the feelings Nic had.

I have so many positive things to say about Tweak and honestly I'm really not sure how to go about doing so. A lot of what Nic said hit close to home for me and in order for me to review it normally I'd have to give up quite a bit of myself that I'm not ready to share. I don't think I was expecting to connect to Nic as much as I did since I'm not an addict, but I think that's one of the amazing parts about Tweak. That you don't have to be an addict, or even know an addict to fall in love with Nic's story and be able to connect with him.

Nic Sheff's writing is just pure brilliance. I felt like I had the opportunity to sit down with him and listen to Nic tell me his story. Constantly throughout the book I was transported onto the streets of San Fransisco, feeling like I was standing right next to him. It was such an amazing and eye opening experience to be given the chance to see through the eyes of an addict.

I had the opportunity to go to a book signing last night and listen to Nic Sheff speak. I can't even put into words how much his talk touched my heart. I am so truly honored that Nic let us all into his past. I was super nervous to go up and get my book signed since I'm pretty shy and just a tremendously huge fan of his, but he was the sweetest. If Nic is having a book signing anywhere even slightly close to your area I highly recommend that you go.

Amazing Quote:
"It's hard to look anyone in the eye. I feel, well, like I'm completely transparent or something- like everyone can see exactly what's going on with me."

Nic Sheff is a brilliant writer and such an inspiring person. He is a role model and hero to so many, I know he is for me. Tweak was a raw, heart-wrenchingly honest book that everyone must read. It's left a permanent impact on me and I'm so grateful I read this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tweak.