Bronwyn Rykiert's Reviews > The Distant Hours

The Distant Hours by Kate Morton

Apr 12, 2011

bookshelves: audiobook, australian, family
Read from March 19 to 31, 2012

I did quit enjoy this story about Edie Birchall on a discovery tour.

One of Edie's book she had as a child was "The Mud Man" by Raymond Bligh and without really knowing it Edie starts a discovery tour of where this book came from an the reason for it. Raymond Bligh lived in a castle and it turns out, Edie's mother Meredith was evacuated to that same castle during WWII and Meredith enjoyed being there with the 3 spinster sister's Percy, Saffy and Juniper that she did not want to go back home. At the time Meredith was 13 and she had not told this story to Edie.

The sisters had a sad life, their father controlled them even from the grave. Their love lives had been thwarted so they had never married. I though for somme time it was just that Percy was so controlling of her sisters but I realised towards the end that it really was their father. Each sister fell in love at a time when they were young. Saffy could not bring herself to leave the castle for her love, Juniper's relationship ended in a tragedy that she did not fully understand because of her state of mind. Percy had her own love life thwarted too - that was a surprise as I did not see that coming.

Eventually Percy told Edie the story so that two victims could have an end date put to their lives.

It was different and quite interesting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Distant Hours.