JoAnne Pulcino's Reviews > The Tortilla Curtain

The Tortilla Curtain by T.C. Boyle

Apr 12, 11

bookshelves: adult-fiction, book-club-selection
Read in August, 1996

For twenty five years T. C. Boyle has garnered wide acclaim and an enthusiastic following of both readers and critics alike. Mr. Boyle has been a writer who challenges with a smart, surreal style that satirizes America's past, present and future by exposing our hypocrisies. I thoroughly enjoyed Talk Talk, a tightly scripted page turner about a deaf woman whose identity has been stolen, and her valiant struggle to reclaim her life. This is the closest Mr. Boyle has come to writing a thriller. But, my absolute favorite is The Tortilla Curtain, the story that exposes the huge economic and social separation between the haves and have nots in modern day Los Angeles. This tragic comedy of errors occurs when a rich couple living in a gated community crosses paths with a migrant, illegal day worker. The events that occur and their consequences create a fantastic page turning read. This book is so well written and so realistic, I was almost convinced Mr. Boyle would have a solution to this painful social condition (quite a burden to assign to an author). It is amazing for an author to be so spot on about people, their attitudes and their reactions. This is a great read, and I strongly recommend it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tortilla Curtain.