Azar's Reviews > The Queen's Fool

The Queen's Fool by Philippa Gregory

F_50x66
Feb 22, 08

Recommended for: fans of historical fiction
Read in February, 2008

An engaging heroine--if somewhat too contemporary in her attitudes for the 16th Century, IMO--narrates this unusual perspective on Tudor England which I enjoyed very much. Not an instant favorite, but definitely a diverting read that I don't regret spending time on. I'll have to read a few more titles by the author before I can say whether or not she's earned her title as queen of Elizabethan fiction.

One thing I found especially intriguing was her unusually sympathetic portrayal of Mary Tudor. Maybe I haven't read/seen enough contemporary accounts of the period, but in my experience books about Tudor England tend to make Elizabeth the heroine and focus on the "Bloody Mary" part of her elder sister's reign. Some of the incidents covered in this novel were events that I either had never learned about, or didn't remember from my history classes, and the book at the least has inspired me to dig deeper and find out just how much of what happened was fiction and how much was history.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Queen's Fool.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Nikki Bouchier The book is "historical fiction". it's a book that is SUPPOSED to be a total off cut from reality.

I don't even care if she does or doesn't have a degree in history, it's fiction... historical fiction. Historical fiction is BASED on actual facts but does not necessarily have to contain all facts from that historical period of time. That's where the fiction comes in. If you want to read a book that has all their historical facts right, then read a history book (hahaha, and I am willing to bet that those are full of embellishments from the author as well).

It's a story based on historical events in the fictional, adventurous mind of the author.

Azar Nikki wrote: "The book is "historical fiction". it's a book that is SUPPOSED to be a total off cut from reality.

Relax, I wasn't criticizing the author's qualifications or her right to make stuff up, just expressing a desire to dig deeper into the actual history as a result of reading the novel. That's a compliment!