Jessica's Reviews > Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen

Born to Run by Christopher McDougall

May 13, 11

bookshelves: 2011, non-fiction, sports, sharing-stories-society, travel, adventure, autobiography, biography, historical, motivational, science, health-and-disease, 5-stars-loved-it
Recommended to Jessica by: Tammy Drescher
Recommended for: Anyone with feet
Read from April 28 to May 12, 2011

Considering I really did not want to read this book at first - I thought it was going to be a textbookish, boring history and explanation of the body-mechanics of running - I can say this book is truly amazing . I don't even like running although I love to hike, backpack and walk. After reading this, however, I might be inclined to start running (big maybe).

It is difficult to describe this book without making it sound like the textbook I was expecting... It is a mashup of a memoir, adventure story, travel documentary, historical account of running, biography of ultrarunners and running tribes of people, motivational guide, and scientific explantation of how human anatomy and locomotion evolved. It seems like a book with that many parts would be confusing & disjointed, but the pieces are woven together in a way that flows wonderfully.

Born To Run dove into myriad topics relating to running, including: the anthropological history of humans and how running fits in, persistance hunting, well-known and lesser-known runners, running events around the world, proper form, shoes (or lack thereof), the commercialization of running, anatomy of the foot, injruies and sports medicine, training, attitude, nutrition, and even a bit about cycling.

The amazing feats that these ultrarunners can accomplish so regularly is truly inspiring. For example, Ann Transon is noted for running 20 miles as a treat to herself after a hard day at work! Seriously?! That makes me feel like a slacker for opening a bottle of wine and curling up on the couch after a hard day...But I admire people with that much passion.

If you enjoy any sport/exercise that is performed on your feet - running, walking, hiking, basketball, soccer - especially if you have sustained an injury while performing this sport/exercise, you will find this book to be educational, eye-opening and perhaps even inspiring.

The author's website was also very interesting and helpful while reading this book - his blog contains photos and videos of some of the runners and doctors mentioned in the book, including visual explanations of the studies mentioned. There are also photos of the Mas Locos runners.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Born to Run.

04/30/2011 page 53
05/12/2011 page 241
84.0% "This book is completely changing the way I think about walking, jogging and running - I used to think the people I saw on trails with those barefoot shoes were out of their minds!!"
show 3 hidden updates…