Sheila's Reviews > Journals of the Big Mouth Bass, Book One: Keeping Secrets

2039269
Apr 12, 11

bookshelves: childrens, cultural
Read in April, 2011

Keeping Secrets promises to be the first in a series of novels told in the first-person by Debbie “Big Mouth” Bass for young to middle-grade readers. Nine-year-old Debbie is growing up in Southern California in the 1960s. Her voice has that honest earnestness that characterizes pre-teen girls, jumping from place to place but somehow always staying—almost—on topic. Her dog is delightful. Big brother’s a pain. The gang are all guys—oh, how well I remember that time, trailing around after my big brother’s friends. And Mom and Dad are the caring, mistake-making, mistake-mending geniuses that all parents hope to be.

Debbie’s not very good at keeping secrets, hence the nickname her brother gave her. But she’s working hard on telling them only to God in her diary, in the expectation that He won’t let her down. She’s finally found a friend who’s a girl. She’s got a crush on a boy. And she really, really, really wants to be accepted.

With historical references to events of the 60’s, a delightful sense of a safer age that was still in its own way fraught with danger, and some well-told timely reminders of secrets good (Mom’s surprise gift) and bad (a brother’s foolish plans), the story combines laughter and tears into a really endearing read. I hope Mom gets another notebook for Debbie. I’m sure she has much more to tell. And I definitely recommend this book to young readers anywhere, especially girls facing all those problems of trying to be someone in a world that pretends it already knows who they are.

Disclosure: I received a copy of this book for review from Rebecca at the Cadence Group.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Journals of the Big Mouth Bass, Book One.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Debbie (new) - added it

Debbie Williamson Dear Sheila, Thank you, Thank you! I am so very grateful!
Debbie Williamson