Ashley - Book Labyrinth's Reviews > Lie

Lie by Caroline Bock

Aug 23, 11

bookshelves: for-review, from-publisher, netgalley, dac-2011, young-adult
Read from August 22 to 23, 2011

I knew going into ‘Lie’ that it wouldn’t be a happy book, but I had no clue how devastating it would be. The most interesting thing about the book, I think, is that it’s told from multiple POVs. You really get to hear from the whole community about what has gone on, and I think it worked really well. However, all those perspectives made the fact that no one was speaking out against a hate crime even more disturbing. I almost felt literally sick to my stomach reading about such a vicious act happening and how no one in the community was doing anything to counter it.

It was extraordinarily difficult to read about Skylar. I really despised her. She had gone through a terrible loss and Jimmy had been “there” for her, and somehow because of that she relied on him for everything. Sky and Jimmy’s relationship is such a sick one, like a disease that has rooted itself within Skylar. I know it happens, but it’s hard to believe that Skylar would blindly love Jimmy so much that she would make all kinds of excuses for him. I understand grappling between right and wrong, but often it seemed like Skylar didn’t really know (or care to know) the difference, and even when she did, she did very little about it.

I’m not sure what to say about ‘Lie’. It deals with some incredibly difficult subjects and it’s a powerful read. One part of the story shocked me so much I just had to sit there for a few minutes, trying to gather my thoughts. This is a small book, but it has a very strong effect. I just wish there had been a stronger sense of morality shown by the main characters, or at least by some of the outlying authority figures.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lie.