Tracy's Reviews > The Girl Who Chased the Moon

The Girl Who Chased the Moon by Sarah Addison Allen

5219188
Apr 12, 2011

Read in April, 2011

Sarah Addison Allen has created a story that feels magical, reads lyrically and is memorable in the ways of all favourite bedtime stories.

While the main characters are Emily ( a teenage girl new to the town of Mullaby) and Julia ( a women who has returned after many years, it's really a story of a town and it's people. A story of how we as people deal with others and our place in our world. Whether a popular kid or a misfit, no matter our social standing, we are all looking to be accepted and loved.

The descriptive phrasing in this truly whimsical tale are beautifully rendered. Some of my favourites:
-" It was outrageously flaunting it's age, spitting paint chips and old roofing shingles into the yard."
-"He seemed badly constructed, like a skyscraper made of soft wood instead of concrete."
-'....and all that was left was a collective unconscious, a tradition without a memory, a dream every person in the town of Mullaby had on the same date every year."

A delightfully enchanting tale of love and magic and community. I can't wait to read some of her other stories to see if they contain the same feelings of acceptance and familiarity.

A charmingly simple tale just made for an easy summer day spent at the beach or on a porch swing or in a backyard hammock.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl Who Chased the Moon.