Keytrice Castro's Reviews > Heart of Darkness

Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad

Apr 12, 2011

I read Joseph Conrad’s Heart of Darkness one day while I was stuck alone at my boyfriend’s house with a power outage, so there was nothing else to do but rummage through his roommate’s bookshelf in search of the shortest book I could find. The book didn’t disappoint, taking me straight into the heart of Africa, to experience the barbarity of the human experience. Conrad is a fantastic storyteller, engaging the reader through Marlow’s account of the events in the Congo. The only problem I had with this book was the language—since I’m not an avid reader, I was often hung on words that made many sentences difficult to understand. At one point I extended my patience, but revisited the book at a more relaxed state-of-mind, and was then able to fully enjoy and appreciate the read. It felt like a much longer story than the seventy-some-odd pages it was, but that’s probably part of the reason why it’s considered a Classic—his narrative was able to engulf me in the story so fully that it felt as though I was living it myself.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heart of Darkness.