Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog)'s Reviews > The Rebel

The Rebel by Jessica Bird

This review was posted at Under the Covers

I've had this book on my TBR list for a while and since every summer I look for something light to listen to while catching some sun rays, I decided to give this a try. Let me tell you, I was pleasantly surprised! And note that this book was originally released in 2005 with a different title: Beauty and the Black Sheep.

I think the first thing to do before reading a Jessica Bird book, if you are a J.R. Ward fan, is realize that this is a different pen name. Don't go in expecting to read the Black Dagger Brotherhood just without fangs. But do go in with an open mind and let her writing transport you to upstate New York, to a decrepit bed and breakfast that will need almost a miracle to stay afloat. And that miracle might just be chef Nate Walker, who can bring in clients in masses.

Frankie Moorehouse is a strong woman. She has been running the B&B since her parents died, has closed herself off to having any kind of a real life in order to not loose the only thing that they still have of their family. And forget about guys and love, so not on her list of things to do. But how can she not add Nate Walker, hot and sexy, bad boy and chef. Although she has all these conflicting feelings in her head about why she shouldn't get involved with Nate, his perseverance wins out.

And Nate, well, what can I say? He knows how to work a woman almost as well as he uses those chef knives. He has great strength, leaving a life of luxury and commodities with his family to follow his dreams. And he applies that same drive to get the woman he wants. And that is extremely sexy. But then again, everything about Nate was sexy.

The actual story was well developed without being wordy, I was hanging on to every word! The Moorehouse family is definitely an interesting one and I can't wait to see the siblings find true love.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rebel.