Lisa Carroll's Reviews > How I Became a Pirate

How I Became a Pirate by Melinda Long

F 50x66
Apr 12, 2011

bookshelves: module-3-booklist

I can't say enough good things about this book. My son developed a love of pirates at the age of 3 and found this book hilarious. The pictures are amazing and the story is quite entertaining. There is enough substance to this picture book for a an older child to enjoy as well. I think this book would be appropriate enough for children up to 3rd grade. Our young hero, Jeremy Jacob is at the beach with his family when a band of pirates notice what a good digger he is. He is asked to join them and aboard he goes on a swashbuckling adventure. Melind Long created such a wonderful story and David Shannon did such a wonderful job illustrating the book. The pictures were full of detail and children, esecially boys, will delight in the pictures of the scruffy pirates. As fun and as exciting as his adventure is, Jeremy Jacob realizes that sometimes being a pirate is scary. He is glad to be home at the end of his adventure. There is also an adorable book that follows this book titled How Pirates Became Babysitters. This book won the following awards: ALA Notable Books for Children (2004), Notable Books of the English Language Arts (2004), Book Sense Book of the Year Award (2004)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How I Became a Pirate.