Victoria Whipple's Reviews > The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making

The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own M... by Catherynne M. Valente

Dec 05, 11

bookshelves: adventure, fairy-tales, friends, speculative-fiction, world-of-faerie, tcp, thms
Read in November, 2011

This may be my new favorite book. It's quite different from my old favorite, Dominic by William Steig, so it's hard to say. It's not hard to say why I loved this book though! The main reason I loved this book was the language the writer used. Each and every word was so carefully chosen and placed that it made the reading feel like such a luxury. Although the book is full of adventure and danger, (not to mention new and strange places, sights, foods, folk and animals) I fell asleep after 10 or 15 minutes of reading every night. Partly because I read just before bed every night, but more so because the author's words were like a warm blanket wrapping itself around my brain and lulling it with their warm brilliance. September is a young girl who decides she won't miss out on much if she takes a trip to fairyland. Once she arrives she meets a Wyvern who becomes her travel mate and dear friend. They later meet up with another boy who is a creature of the sea, and the friendship between the three grows throughout the story. The plot is dreamlike, and the author's imagination is staggering. This is a book that should be read by young and old, and treasured by all. Destined to be a classic! My only complaint is that I would have liked to have seen more illustrations, not just the ones at the beginning of the chapters. The illustrator, Ana Juan, was able to match the writing's dream like feel perfectly. TCP/THMS and everyone else!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making.