Jenifer's Reviews > Cat's Eye

Cat's Eye by Margaret Atwood

Mar 18, 08

Recommended to Jenifer by: Dr. Diane Boyd
Recommended for: al women of all ages and men who want to understand women
Read in January, 2004

This book really illustrated what it is like to grow up as a girl. I think every woman can read this story and relate to Elaine and the relationship she has with her friends. You are either Cordelia, the one that made everyone's life a living hell, or the one that suffered the psychological torture. It was painful at times to read this because there is just so much truth to it. We as women know how hard it is the be a part of a group of young girls. Even the most popular girl has her moment where she is thrust out of the circle and ridiculed for no good reason. We have all been a part of it in some way, whethere we are the loner, the accepted, or have been on both sides. We have all either been Cordelia's ourseleves or been hurt by her, or have taken turns trying on both roles. It is a nessessary part of growing up and in innate characteristic of being a female whether we like it or not. Insecurity runs through our veins during our youth just as much as our blood. This novel captures it in the most eloquent way I have ever seen outside of real life.

As a side note, Mean Girls, while a cheesy teen movie, did a good job as well....but for obvious reasons could never compare to Atwood. Tina Fey is a great role model for women though and also conveys the same messgae in her screenplay. It may be a teen flick, but I give credit where credit is due despite the medium.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cat's Eye.