Sara's Reviews > The Dumbest Generation: How the Digital Age Stupefies Young Americans and Jeopardizes Our Future

The Dumbest Generation by Mark Bauerlein

Apr 25, 11

bookshelves: 2011, paper
Read from April 12 to 24, 2011

Sure, the title is sensationalist. Sensationalism sells. I'm sure some the stats were tweaked a little to fit the author's needs, but that doesn't hide the fact that kids do indeed spend too much time doing frivolous things on the computer. I dog-eared 20+ pages of this book. It seemed the author said something powerful every other page.

I teach high school and yes, there are still kids out there that read. In fact, just last week a student of mine said she was going to start reading more because her aunt told her it would build her vocabulary. The book she chose? Jackie Collins' Poor Little Bitch Girl...but I will cut her some slack. At least she's reading something. Unfortunately, most of my students aren't reading at all.

We can't deny the fact that as a nation we spend billions on technology, and our test scores are still lackluster. Maybe we could learn from Finland. They spend less money and score better than the US (according to the Program for International Student Assessment.)

Most of the folks that have reviewed this book found it dry and not as strong toward the end. I found it quite the opposite. I thought it was a very strong ending.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dumbest Generation.

04/23/2011 page 119