Fani's Reviews > Never a Gentleman

Never a Gentleman by Eileen Dreyer

I hate that GR doesn't allow for half stars. This is a 4.5 for me, not 4 nor 5 either. Still, the ending was just my cuppa, emotional, angsty, heartwrenching and I liked the heroes, especially the heroine so much I decided to round it to 5 stars.

The hero is part of an English spy group, called Drake's Rakes. After a meeting with an informant and while on his way back to London to report, he's drugged along with the heroine and put in the same bed where they're soon discovered by a dozen ton members. So, a marriage of convenience is mandatory.
The hero, Diccan, is one of the most popular men of the ton; tall, handsome, stylish, suave, he's the man everyone tries to follow. The heroine Grace on the other hand, is 6 feet tall, thin and straight as a board, with a bad leg; she's considered the most 'unfortunate' spinster in England. So, a lot of eyes are on this wedding and all of them see it as a joke. No one is expecting Diccan to stay true to his wife and soon enough, Diccan proves them right.

There are many reviews out there for this one and I believe most if not all of them address the main issue of this book, so I guess it's not a spoiler anymore. However, since some people don't want to read any hint about the book's plot, I'm using the new spoiler brackets. So, if you already know what the big fuss is you may read on, since nothing else is revealed. If not, then this is the time to leave the boat!

(view spoiler)

I read in a review, that Grace was a weak heroine; I didn't see that. On the contrary, she's one of my favorite heroines ever. She knew what she wanted, how much of what she wanted could she get and set to get it, without whinning or wallowing. She knew when to step back and listen to the voice of reason and when not to. She knew her husband enough, even after he hurt her, to not believe everything she heard about him. She got in a marriage she didn't want to and tried to make the best of it without hysterics or temper tantrums as many romance heroines are prone to do. I loved her for that.

The one thing I didn't like was a couple of stupid plot turns/scenes. There really is no other word than 'stupid' to describe them. They made no sense, didn't fit with the heroes' personalities, and only served the plot's and author's convenience. I wish the author had found another way to handle those issues. And I have to say that if Marcus Drake, as head of Drake Rake's is set up for a next book, Ms Dreyer is doing a piss poor job of setting him up; he hasn't made ONE right decision in the whole book.

In the end though, I liked the author's writing style and the heroes too much to let these 'stupid' scenes destroy my appreciation of the story. I loved it and look forward to more books my Eileen Dreyer.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Never a Gentleman.

04/18/2011 page 225
56.0% "Ok, I just read the famous scene that put off so many readers. Though I admit the heroine's reaction was unrealistic, I still like the book and look forward to see what will happen next." 29 comments
04/18/2011 page 302
76.0% "Ok, some of the plot twists are driving me mad. Why is Grace safer in London, right where his enemies can get her and check his reactions to her, than hidden somewhere in the country?" 7 comments

Shawna I loved this, Fani! It's extremely angtsy and the heroine's torment is heartbreaking, but it's also a beautiful read.

Fani I have a big fondness for angst and boddice rippers myself, so I think that this may be up to my tastes as well. Thanks for the thumbs up Shawna!

Shawna YW! I know you love angsty reads, too! I reviewed it if you want more info!

Fani I definitely want more:) I'll check it out right now.

Catherine I'm glad you were able to enjoy the book so much, Fani.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Great review! I'd written this book off after reading several bad reviews, but after reading your review (as well as Shawna's) I think I'm going to have to give it a try. Going into it with low expectations though. lol

Fani Thanks Catherine! I'm glad too:)

AJ, If you know the spoilers and still feel willing to try it, I think there is a good chance you'll like it. I believe her writting -at least in this one- is very good. But do check out the spoilers first! You might be saving yourself from a lot of trouble.

message 8: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 19, 2011 09:25AM) (new)

Fani wrote: "Thanks Catherine! I'm glad too:)

Thanks, Fani. I did read them and it didn't bother me too much. I don't mind cheating H or h as long as the writing is great and there is redemption. I love Angst as well, so I'm thinking as long as I like the characters and writing I'll like the book.... hopefully. lol

Fani I think you will:) It had lots -and I mean LOTS- of angst and that was what I liked in it!

Shawna Wonderful review, Fani! I'm glad you loved it, too! I thought Grace and Diccan were both such fascinating, complex characters. Grace was such a strong woman in many ways, yet she suffered from really low self-esteem at the same time, which is very realistic.

Colleen Fantastic review!! I'm glad more and more people are starting to like (if not love) this book as much as I did.

message 13: by Fani (new) - rated it 5 stars

Fani Thanks Danielle!

Thanks Shawna & Colleen! I can see why so many people have trouble liking this book, but as Shawna said, strange as it may be, it's just my cup of tea. Glad to see I'm not the only one:)

message 14: by southpaw285 (new)

southpaw285 Wonderful review, Fani. I will have to add this to my wish list; however, I think I'll start with the first one.

I've never read anything by this author, so it's great to have a new one to add to my list.

message 15: by SheLove2Read (new)

SheLove2Read You've made me want to read this book! Can it stand alone do or do I need to read the first one?

message 16: by Fani (new) - rated it 5 stars

Fani I haven't read another one of this author southpaw, but I really liked her writing style. I plan to read the first one myself; I hope it works for you too!

message 17: by Fani (new) - rated it 5 stars

Fani Sherri *SheLuvs2Read* wrote: "You've made me want to read this book! Can it stand alone do or do I need to read the first one?"

I hope you enjoy it Sherri; at least you'll be prepared on what to expect!
I haven't read the first one, but had no trouble with this, nor questions that were not answered. However, the books ARE linked, since there is a spy story that seems to continue throughout and some of the heroes in this one appeared in the first one too. Still, no trouble reading this as a stand-alone IMO, it just depends on how OCD you are about reading series in order.

message 18: by SheLove2Read (new)

SheLove2Read OK thanks Fani. I'll probably just read them in order then.

message 19: by Fani (new) - rated it 5 stars

Fani good luck then:)

Shawna Sherri/Southpaw - This is a very angsty, beautifully written read. I hope you both enjoy it as much as I did!

message 21: by KatLynne (new) - added it

KatLynne Now I want to read this book! Love bodice rippers and it's been awhile. Great review Fani!

message 22: by Fani (new) - rated it 5 stars

Fani Thanks KatLynne! As long as you know what you're getting at, I'm sure you'll enjoy it:)