Riona's Reviews > A Visit from the Goon Squad

A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan

Oct 30, 11

bookshelves: i-guess-this-is-growing-up, multi-pov, music
Read from October 20 to 30, 2011

Sometimes I feel the obligation to read prizewinning or super-hyped books, but I'm often disappointed by them. This one was actually pretty awesome though. It's kind of a contemporary Bildungsroman, centering around two characters, the washed-up record exec Bennie and his former kleptomaniac assistant, Sasha. Well, former assistant, probably forever kleptomaniac. Their stories are told in a series of loose vignettes featuring a cast of wacky characters, and the chapters jump around chronologically and vary in POV and style (including the much-talked-about Powerpoint chapter, which I really enjoyed).

No one in this novel is particularly likeable, but most of them are relatable. Crazy youth --> Middle age --> Wondering "What happened to me?" is a pretty common theme that I think a lot of people can identify with. Even though I'm only in my 20's, I still appreciated the thread of change and the passing of time throughout the narrative. I especially enjoyed the slightly speculative chapters set in the near-future.
1 like · likeflag

Quotes Riona Liked

Jennifer Egan
“I’m done. I’m old, I’m sad - that’s on a good day. I want out of this mess. But I don’t want to fade away, I want to flame away - I want my death to be an attraction, a spectacle, a mystery. A work of art.”

Jennifer Egan
“Everybody sounds stoned, because they're e-mailing people the whole time they're talking to you.”
tags: p123

Jennifer Egan
“I felt no shame in these activities, because I understood what almost no one else seemed to grasp: that there was only an infinitesimal difference, a difference so small that it barely existed except as a figment of the human imagination, between working in a tall green glass building on Park Avenue and collecting litter in a park. In fact, there may have been no difference at all.”

Jennifer Egan
“I can't tell if she's actually real, or if she's stopped caring if she's real or not. Or is not caring what makes a person real?”

10/24/2011 page 226