Melissa's Reviews > The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith

Mar 03, 12

bookshelves: 2012-releases, books-i-own
Read on February 24, 2012 — I own a copy

I remember seeing this novel when it was first added to Goodreads and I was immediately sold by the title. I mean, come on, with such a title, it's a clear winner. Then, the cover came and I knew I was in love with it at first sight.

But then the doubts came. What if it isn't as good as I had hoped it'd be? What if the hype was all for nothing? I am pleased to say that my fears were unfounded. The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight was everything I had hoped it'd be and more.

I was drawn to Hadley's narrative because she came across as a REAL teen. She's a normal teenager who's going through one of her worst days as she prepares to go to her father's second wedding. She hasn't come to terms with her parents' divorce and she projects that unto her soon-to-be stepmother. At times, she did come across as a little selfish and insensitive to her mother but I would say it resonated as a real teen's behavior.

Oliver is SO charming! Everyone's talking about him and lemme just say, he makes me want to miss my next flight. He's friendly, helpful and he helps Hadley get through her day. Surprisingly, through their interactions and flashbacks, Hadley's story is really fleshed out and I felt a true connection to her.

I thought that this was going to be some chick lit but it wasn't. It turns out Oliver's going through some stuff of his own as well, and there certainly were times that I teared up while reading. There was just enough pinch of drama and sadness to keep this from being a mindless read. The ending, while a little predictable, still left me hanging. What's going to happen to Hadley and Oliver? What's their story from that? I need a sequel, or at the very least, fanfiction!!

Make no mistake. The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight isn't some deep, philosophical title that will make you ponder the meaning of love and all that. But it IS a title that's heartwarming, charming and with just a hint of angst/drama that will leave you wanting more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight.