Melissa's Reviews > The Shuttle

The Shuttle by Frances Hodgson Burnett

Feb 21, 08

Read in February, 2008

My copy is from Persephone, and you just can't qo wrong with that publisher. I've loved Burnett for years, but never read an adult novel, even though one of them has been on my shelf for years. This was a classic Victorian novel, with a dastardly (and truly horrifying--a real mixture of realism and ridiculousness) villian and spunky heroine. It was a wonderful examination of American money and British class issues, set alongside a good bit of women's history. And it was a page turner. Yes, in parts it is almost ridiculous, but I just couldn't put it down and I love it despite its almost Victorian gothic nature.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shuttle.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Susannah Garboden You should know that the Persephone version is abridged...I know, that stinks. See if you can find an older copy...there's quite a bit missing.

Melissa Interesting. I actually bought an early edition copy a few months ago, so it's already on my shelf.

Karen Susannah wrote: "You should know that the Persephone version is abridged...I know, that stinks. See if you can find an older copy...there's quite a bit missing."

I was just wondering about this--I noticed the "abridged" on the copyright page. I wonder why they did this? It seems hard to believe that there's a substantial amount missing, since the Persephone edition is pretty long!