Books-treasureortrash's Reviews > The Eye of the World

Apr 11, 2011

bookshelves: reviewed, fantasy
Read in April, 2011 — I own a copy , read count: 4

Book Review: 4 Treasure Boxes

Are you in for an exciting and wild ride reading about magic in the form of the one power, evil creatures and the fight of the Creator (good) against The Dark One (evil) plus plenty of human interactions? The Eye of the World is the start of an astounding series which centres on the Dragon Reborn as he approaches the last battle against The Dark One. It starts with the introduction of Lews Therin Telamon, the original Dragon (The name of the leader in the first battle with Shai'tan (The Dark One) over 3 and half thousand years ago.) He won the battle, but at a great cost. Now there is great need for the Dragon and many are searching for a young man who is the Dragon (Lews Therin Telamon) Reborn.

This book does a good job of setting up the premise of the world and acquainting us with all the various players. The main protagonists are innocent young people living in the Two Rivers, a small village in the county. Mat is mischievous and likes to have fun, Rand is sensible and stubborn, Perrin in quiet but intelligent and very strong. Some of the antagonists are the Forsaken, those Aei Sedai (people who can wield the one power) who were around during the first battle and not only assisted the Dark One, but also became his servants and thus gained immortality and power.

The Eye of the World is the first of fourteen books plus a prequel in The Wheel of Time Series. James Oliver Rigney, Jr., (Pen name Robert Jordon) is the sole author of the prequel through to book eleven. Unfortunately he passed away in 2007 before completing the series but he did leave copious notes. Brandon Sanderson, an accomplished author, agreed to complete The Wheel of Time (WoT) using these notes, outlines, completed scenes and dictated explanations. This book falls under the epic fantasy genre since it has magic in the form of the one power, which is only available to a very limited number of people, primarily known as Aei Sedai. There are no elves, dwarfs, goblins, but there are evil people, Trollocs (similar to Orcs,) Myrddraal (similar to Nazgûl,) and the Dark One (the antithesis of the Creator, Similar to the Dark Lord in Lord of the Rings.) The story is told in a third person narrative from many different characters, although most frequently from the Two River’s gang. Most of the books also have a prologue and some have an epilogue.

The book hooks our interest from the first page, first we get to know our Two Rivers boys and then the village is attacked by Tollocs and Myrddraal. Soon the boys realize their village was targeted by the Dark One who is looking for them. In order to save any further damage to their families or town they leave with an Aes Sedai, her warder and a gleeman. Egwene, a girl from the village and Nynaeve, the young, pretty and stern Wisdom insist on joining the group.

The adventure begins with plenty of non-stop action and suspense. I like the way the characters refer to their friends, the commentary of each other’s strengths and weaknesses is endearing. The book is thrilling and hard to put down. Each member of the Two Rivers gang grows in many ways including developing new abilities. This book built up with a wonderful and complex story and then came to an exciting conclusion, yet it left room for the story to continue, which it does in The Hunt for the Horn. I am looking forward to reading the continued adventures of all the various players.

This book is a must read, I highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a complex and intense epic fantasy. Once you read the first book you will be quickly going onto all the other books as it is a fascinating tale. To read the whole series is a big time commitment but well worth the effort.

For more of my reviews go to: www.books-treasureortrash.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Eye of the World.