Anjanette's Reviews > Sprinkles and Secrets

Sprinkles and Secrets by Lisa Schroeder

F_50x66
Apr 12, 11

Read in April, 2011

Another Sweet Treat from Lisa Schroeder!

Twelve-year-old Sophie yearns to be an actress. When she’s offered the opportunity to appear in a television commercial, at first it seems like a dream come true. There’s just one problem––the commercial is for Beatrice’s Brownies, the successful chain that just might put the cupcake bakery owned by her friend Isabel’s family out of business! Can Sophie follow her dreams without losing her best friend?

SPRINKLES AND SECRETS is the follow-up to Schroeder’s IT’S RAINING CUPCAKES. It is a great read on its own, but I recommend reading it together with IT’S RAINING CUPCAKES. The book picks up the story where CUPCAKES left off, with a cliffhanger ending after the bake-off, and is told from the viewpoint of CUPCAKES’ main character Isabel’s best friend, Sophie. I felt that Sophie’s character was consistent in both books, but readers will find it illuminating to see that while Isabel’s assessment of Sophie as a girl who always seems to get what she wants isn’t exactly wrong, life isn’t always easy for Sophie either.

Sophie is an appealing main character with a caring personality and a mostly sunny outlook on life. While Sophie’s dilemma in SPRINKLES AND SECRETS is not nearly as weighty as Isabel’s was in IT’S RAINING CUPCAKES, her struggle to balance her own dreams with loyalty to her friend is relatable, as are the missteps she makes along the way. Sophie has the benefit of a very close family to offer support and advice, but ultimately she wrestles with her conscience and follows her heart to make her own decisions.

The book is written in a style simple enough to draw in a reluctant reader, while the story is plenty engaging for more sophisticated readers (I think I enjoyed the book as much as my ten-year-old daughter did). The author packs a lot into this little book––we get to know Sophie’s family well, and there is also a sweet subplot about Sophie’s annoying lab partner-turned-friend (or maybe more?), which shows how Sophie’s concern for others’ feelings extends to her middle-school classmates too.

The story is set in Willow, Oregon, the kind of town where kids can walk or ride their bikes most everywhere and generally operate without too much dependence on adults, which also adds to the Beverly Cleary-esque feel of the book. While adults are present and involved, the kids solve their own problems. My daughter noted this as her favorite aspect of the book, and we both had fun seeing how Sophie creatively attempts to make things right with Isabel. Recipes are included at the end of the book for an extra treat.

This book is not due to be released until September––the lovely author donated an advance copy to an online charity auction to benefit the victims of the earthquake in Japan, and my daughter and I were very excited to snap it up. We both highly recommend SPRINKLES AND SECRETS (and IT’S RAINING CUPCAKES, if you haven’t read it yet), and hope that Lisa Schroeder writes more stories about Sophie and Isabel!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sprinkles and Secrets.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Grace loved both of these books?? do you know if there is going to be a third?

Anjanette Yes! Frosting and Friendship, coming in Fall 2013. Here's the info from Lisa Schroeder's blog:

Grace OMG thank you SO much I cant wait

Anjanette You're welcome :)