Chessa's Reviews > A Discovery of Witches

A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness

Apr 23, 11

bookshelves: sf_fantasy, series, paranormal_romance, mystery
Read from April 11 to 23, 2011

Really really liked this! Once I had checked it out, I didn't want to start it because it's the first in a trilogy and the next isn't out til next year. But I read one page and said, "goddammit, I have to read this book!". It really did catch me from the first page.

Very well written and researched for the genre. It's a book that you could give to your snobbier (say, classic reading only) book friends and they would probably enjoy it - yet it's still totally accessible and has good pacing. All the characters are well developed; the supporting cast is excellent (always a big point for me).

Diana is an American historian doing research at Oxford - oh yeah, she's also a witch that's forsaken her powers. She happens upon a long lost manuscript and catches the attention of all the creatures (vampires, daemons, and other witches) in the area - including Matthew Clairmont, a fellow academic, and (of course) uber-hot vampire. Mysteries, pending war, time travel...really great stuff. Oh and some romance. :)

Very much looking forward to the sequel!