Judith (Judith'sChoiceReads)'s Reviews > Across the Universe

Across the Universe by Beth Revis

Jun 29, 12

bookshelves: books-i-want-to-own, fantastic-covers, good-reads, must-haves, unpredictable
Read from May 26 to 28, 2011

Goodreads Summary

A love out of time. A spaceship built of secrets and murder.

Seventeen-year-old Amy joins her parents as frozen cargo aboard the vast spaceship Godspeed and expects to awaken on a new planet, three hundred years in the future. Never could she have known that her frozen slumber would come to an end fifty years too soon and that she would be thrust into the brave new world of a spaceship that lives by its own rules.

Amy quickly realizes that her awakening was no mere computer malfunction. Someone-one of the few thousand inhabitants of the spaceship-tried to kill her. And if Amy doesn't do something soon, her parents will be next.

Now Amy must race to unlock Godspeed's hidden secrets. But out of her list of murder suspects, there's only one who matters: Elder, the future leader of the ship and the love she could never have seen coming.

My Thoughts

Across the Universe was brill, simply and wholly brilly. For that bit of terminology translated in greater detail you're going to have to grab a copy of Revis's consuming galactic novel, but let me just say that when I say 'brilly' I mean perfect, full and completely. Okay so where to begin? Maybe at my final thoughts because close to an hour after laying it down, I cannot get the book and characters out of my head.

I want more, more of Amy and Elder and more of Godspeed! If you're listening Revis, please make a sequel! As a side not however, I do not usually go for intergalactic stories or space novels usually, or at all for that matter. I don't know why, but they have never been me. I'm the girl eating Godiva by the fireplace with a warming romance in hand; the genres certainly vary but I almost always gravitate towards romance, I'm just that way. Or so I thought! That was before Across the Universe totally captured me with its alluring cover and title, trust me when I say I've stood in the bookstore debating whether to buy this work many times. I wasn't willing to invest in a book that might, for all I knew, Suck. So I borrowed it from my library!!! Awesome Little device, right folks? Speaking of which My debt is paid off so I can walk the library lanes without feeling like all the cameras are on the girl who owes 100 + dollars.

Yes, 100+. Don't ask me how that happened, just know that it did and I've paid it off and will NEVER allow myself to be stink-eyed by Lady Mac'Grady 2.1!

Never. Again.

That stink eye changes a person...it does THINGS. O.o

*Looks around embarrassed and groans.* I suppose I've just embarrassed myself via internet again...

*Ahem* Well it can't be helped! Nuts will be nuts, I suppose. Right? Right...? So leaving my library troubles aside, Back to the book!

The first thing about this novel is that it is not in any way, restrictive. ANYONE could pick this up and read it, it's amazing! The whole world is brand new and carefully laid out, the people frightening And by that I do mean scary, bone-curling scary. I wish the reality in this book never comes to pass for anyone, because boy does it look painful! Across the Universe was full of heartache but also little joys that made it worth-while and I. Just. Kept. Flipping.

This wasn't strictly a romance, just strictly real and honest. That is why this book deserves a 5-star rating in my eyes, because I got everything I wanted. See that kid at Christmas with all the presents littered around her? The one who believes her daddy can get her everything, let she only ask? Well that's me with a very important distinction.

Through the reading of her impeccable novel Revis WAS my Daddy, and I didn't even need to ask.

This review as well as many others is featured on my blog,Choice Reads.

Quotes Judith (Judith'sChoiceReads) Liked

Beth Revis
“When I look at the fields, all I can see is how fake they are, how poor an imitation they are of the pictures of Sol-Earth fields.
[...]
And that's why I'll never be as good an Eldest as he is.
Because I like a little chaos.”
Beth Revis, Across the Universe

05/26/2011 page 38
10.0% "I thought I would start on this one because there's a great wall of China line of people waiting for it at my library! *growls*"
05/27/2011 page 65
16.0% "I love the space-feel to this book! It's just taking longer than I thought because exams are definitely around the corner. Other than that it's amazing!"
05/28/2011 page 262
66.0% "This book just keeps getting more intriguing, I can't wait to solve the mysteries! :D"
show 2 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Steph Sinclair And I thought I was special for owing $50+ to my library! WOW!

I can't wait for this sequel!!!

Judith (Judith'sChoiceReads) Stephanie wrote: "And I thought I was special for owing $50+ to my library! WOW!

I can't wait for this sequel!!!"

Dude, you have no idea! It was close to 120 something and they never called me in more than once to pay it off! They sucked me dry and stole my bread lol

The sequel is going to be awesome! I really hope that guy stays frozen and Doc doesn't let him out...

Steph Sinclair I'm convinced they only care about their money when you actually want a book. LOL.

According to the blurb, it looks like they are going to try and find a way off the ship. This is just one of those series where I have no idea what's going to happen next!

Judith (Judith'sChoiceReads) Ha! Exactly, and they'll keep adding and adding until you finally pay up. Sneaky little buggers :D

Hmm, I saw that too, but how they're actually going to get off is beyond me. I bet Revis has a master plot in store though, I love that it's so unpredictable!