Sara's Reviews > You Wish

You Wish by Mandy Hubbard

Apr 11, 11

bookshelves: 2011, young-adult
Read on April 10, 2011

3.5 stars. At her miserable sweet 16 party, Kayla wishes that her her birthday wish would for once come true, and the next day, previous birthday wishes start coming true! First there's the life-sized My Little Pony, then a billion gumballs, and soon after she discovers that her old Raggedy Ann doll has become a real girl and the Ken doll a real-life Ken. What worries Kayla - besides trying to hide all this craziness from her family - is that she has a crush on Ben, her best friend's boyfriend, and remembers that for her 15th birthday, she'd wished that Ben would kiss her.

The premise of this book is super cute! I love the idea that old birthday wishes are suddenly coming true, and there was definitely the opportunity for a lot of both humor and heart. Kayla is likable, and the real-life Raggedy Ann is even more likable and believable. There was a nice blend of wish-related drama and school/friend-centered drama, with Kayla not only having to deal with her wishes come true but also with a best friend that seems to be pulling away from her and a mean girl who drives her batty.

The book got off to a slow start, however; I liked the description of Kayla's birthday party, but after that, it took a while for her wishes-come-true to be more entertaining than simply ho-hum. To me, a lot of the first half was kinda forgettable - entertaining but not particularly gripping. The book picked up quite a bit (and actually got a chuckle out of me) when Ken was introduced. How can you not love a guy who comes to life armed with his own fleet of cars, credit card, and plenty of muscle? He's a catch and he knows it, calling Kayla/Barbie "babe," "doll," and every other pet name in the book. He was definitely the comic relief, while Ann (the other brought-to-life character) brought the heart to the book.

Overall, I think this would be a fun, quick beach read for the target audience (probably tweens and younger teens), but it didn't resonate with me as much as I'd hoped - and I do love cheesy books like this, despite not being the target audience! Cute but not deep or memorable, other than Ken, who stole the scene every page he was on.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read You Wish.