Allison's Reviews > Cinderella Ate My Daughter: Dispatches from the Frontlines of the New Girlie-Girl Culture

Cinderella Ate My Daughter by Peggy Orenstein

Apr 11, 11

bookshelves: hark-i-are-a-chick, spackle-for-the-void
Read in April, 2011

Well, if you've taken Gender Studies 101, or ever questioned gender constructs, this book probably isn't going to rock your world. Basically what we have here is a fun, fast, and dare I say, for fear of being deemed a misogynist (when, after all, have you EVER heard this adjective applied to something by a dude), frothy (oh no, she di-int!) romp through the various intersections of gender and media politics. The opinions are predictable (i.e. the Twilight Saga is Satan), at times a tad mystifying, as when the author fretfully ruminates on the possibility of her daughter ending up--GASP!--single, and generally content to skim the surface. A lot is touched on here, without really being delved into in a substantial, meaningful way. So really, it's more like a Le Tigre album than somewhere you would turn to hoping to discern the meaning of life--something to nod your head, and pump your fist, and say YEAH! (and maybe even dance!) to. It also doesn't hurt for laugh-out-loud moments, as when the author launches into the comparative hotness of Muppets. Treated as pop psychology lite, this is a perfectly fine, albeit ultimately harmless, read. I'm glad someone's keeping the conversation going, and maybe this will be a valuable resource for parents that perhaps didn't go the Liberal Arts Education route.

That's another thing this book will impress on you:

Parenthood, man. Looks like hard damn work. As one fallible human being's meditation on the desire to be the perfect parent, all the while fully knowing that this is impossible, this is also a pretty moving piece of work.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cinderella Ate My Daughter.