LJ's Reviews > Midnight Is a Lonely Place

Midnight Is a Lonely Place by Barbara Erskine

Feb 21, 08

bookshelves: female_author, suspense, paranormal_fantasy, gothic, horror, england, contemporary_post_1945
Read in April, 1999

Midnight is a Lonely Place - G+
Erskine, Barbara - standalone

After a broken love affair, Kate Kennedy retreats to a cottage on the Essex coast to work on her latest project. To her alarm, her peace and solitude is replaced by a sense of fear as strange incidents begin to occur - incidents that connect, Kate is sure, with the Roman grave being excavated.

This book seriously scared me and, occasionally, creeped me out. I keep wanting to read another by Erskine, but am not certain I'm old enough to read it on my own; and I'm in my 50's. It's a definite read-with-the-lights-on book.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Midnight Is a Lonely Place.

message 1: by Barb (new)

Barb LJ,
Very funny review!
I might have to try this just for the creepy factor!

message 2: by LJ (new) - rated it 3 stars

LJ Thanks, Barb.

message 3: by Misfit (new) - added it

Misfit Hiding from the Light is good as well. Lots of things that go bump in the night.

message 4: by LJ (new) - rated it 3 stars

LJ I do wish her books were available on Kindle. I checked and none of them are. I did click, "I'd like to read this on Kindle" for each one of them.

Hannah Hey LJ,
Liked your review. Erskine can definitely write some spookies. If you had a hard time with Midnight is a Lonely Place, you might want to stay far away from my favorite Erskine, "House of Echos". It seriously creeps me out!

message 6: by LJ (new) - rated it 3 stars

LJ I'm glad you warned me. I like good suspense, but when it crosses over into horror or becomes overly creepy, it's not for me. I've too vivid and visual an imagination.

Hannah LJ wrote: "I'm glad you warned me. I like good suspense, but when it crosses over into horror or becomes overly creepy, it's not for me. I've too vivid and visual an imagination."

I totally understand. My daughter and I read "House of Echos" aloud to each other last January and even though we were together (and I had read it numerous times before), it STILL got to me. Sometimes just a turn of phrase is all it takes to make the hairs stand on end.

message 8: by LJ (new) - rated it 3 stars

LJ Well, and I live alone and have had personal encounters of the paranormal kind--one positive, one neutral, one, less than friendly but very brief; okay, I sort-of bolted--so I'm a little careful when it gets too creepy.

Hannah LJ wrote: "Well, and I live alone and have had personal encounters of the paranormal kind--one positive, one neutral, one, less than friendly but very brief; okay, I sort-of bolted--so I'm a little careful wh..."

OK, this probably sounds crazy, but I've always wanted to have a paranormal experience. I'm the kind of person who isn't willing to discount the paranormal, but can't quite fully "believe" until I experience something for myself.

Can I ask if yours happened in a home you lived in? If you don't want to say, that's ok. I'm just interested - and nosey!

message 10: by LJ (new) - rated it 3 stars

LJ It was where I was living, but rather a long-ish story. Suffice it to say I learned, through the neighbors, that it was the spirit of a man who'd lived there and committed suicide under a tree in the back yard one Christmas Day--apparently he and his wife fought loudly and constantly. I knew he was there because, initially, he'd open cupboard doors and the door from the kitchen to a deck that adjoined the back bedroom. I learned his name, Fred Pfiffer, and said hello to him each time I sensed he was there. With Fred, it was an intelligent haunting, as he would "interact" with me. I felt he watched over me after my husband left me and, at my emotional crisis point, (this is hard to explain) he sent me comfort letting me know I'd be fine. The next morning, he was gone. I always felt that by helping me deal with my pain, it released him from his to move on. I missed him for the rest of the time I lived there.

When I was a teen, I experienced a residual haunting in a 200-year-old house where bootsteps walked past my room down the hall, ran heavily back and down the stairs. The only problem was, there was no hall past my room and nothing outside--I was at the end of the house. Turns out, it had been a stage stop and inn in the 1700s, and there was a wing past me. That burnt down and wasn't rebuilt. Apparently, a soldier had down gone down the hall, found his wife in bed with another, shot the wife, ran down the hall, but the other shot him and he died at the bottom of the stairs.

The not-nice one was in a house open for a tour. My friend and I wandered down a hall, not part of the tour, and there was a real sense that something did NOT want us to come down there. So we didn't.

There you go. I am actually going to be doing paranormal investigation with a friend of mine.

message 11: by Barb (new)

Barb Oooh LJ,
Thanks for sharing.
Facinating!

message 12: by Hannah (last edited Nov 03, 2009 05:25AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Hannah Wow LJ, those are some incredible experiences. Since you experienced 3 separate occurences, I wonder if you're just not more attune to these things?

Thanks for sharing. Good luck with the investigation.

message 13: by Misfit (new) - added it

Misfit Yikes, I don't like the last two stories. I wouldn't mind meeting a ghost in an old hotel or something but only if I had a husband with me. Since I don't have one of those I'll pass.

message 14: by Barb (last edited Nov 03, 2009 07:07AM) (new)

Barb That's one reason for matramony I hadn't thought about
;0

Hannah Barb wrote: "That's one reason for matramony I hadn't thought about
;0"

And here I was thinking we just needed them to kill big spiders....

message 16: by LJ (new) - rated it 3 stars

LJ No, I'll take a friend with me.

message 17: by Misfit (last edited Nov 03, 2009 07:37AM) (new) - added it

Misfit Hannahr wrote: "Barb wrote: "That's one reason for matramony I hadn't thought about
;0"

They are good for killing big spiders I'll grant you that :p

"

And here I was thinking we just needed them to kill big spiders....

Barb wrote: "That's one reason for matramony I hadn't thought about

message 18: by LJ (new) - rated it 3 stars

LJ A friend of mine once said "There are only two good reasons for a man; sex and household repairs. One you can do yourself, the other you can hire out. You may decided which is which."

message 19: by Barb (new)

Barb :0)
LOL
Love that, very funny!

Cathie Barbara Erskine's novels all have a beginning in the present and a character from the past that takes over. I liked several of her books, some of which are hard to find now. Child of the Phoenix was a very different telling of the daughter of Llewellyn the Great and JoAnna. Kingdom of Shadows is about one of Robert the Bruce's loves, a married Countess, who was in fact captured and hung outside a castle daily in a cage. House of Echoes is about the love between Edward IV and one of his mistresses. Daughters of Fire is about the Celtic clans v. Romans. Hiding from the Light is about the witch hunts in England in 1644. I read the Sands of Time but can't remember the story, although I believe it had something to do with Cleopatria. On the Edge of Darkness is another very creepy story that takes place in Scotland where a man goes back and finds a Celtic woman who then comes forward into his current life.

message 21: by Barb (new)

Barb Cathie,
Thanks for all the info on Barbara Erskine's books.
I might have to try a few of those.

message 22: by Misfit (new) - added it

Misfit Barb wrote: "Cathie,
Thanks for all the info on Barbara Erskine's books.
I might have to try a few of those."

I think you might like Erskine Barb. Just space them out so you don't get burnout.