Sally's Reviews > The Calling

Apr 11, 2011

bookshelves: own-bought, 2012-reads, people-with-powers, werewolves-shifters
Read from April 23 to 27, 2012

Book 2 in the Darkness Rising series
The Calling has Kelley Armstrong's typical page-turning, attention-grabbing magic, with full-on action and drama right from the start that doesn't let up. Right from the start Maya and her friends are fleeing a forest fire, only to be in a terrifying helicopter crash, and are then hunted through a forest by an evil corporation with guns, who want to capture them.
I love Kelley Armstrong's writing- the way the characters feel like they are someone you know, and the emotion behind the story. I also just love these characters, and their small-town lives filled with all these memories and backstory. Maya and Daniel have been best friends since they were 5 years old, and have supported each other each other through tragedy and everything that has happened to them in the past few years. They trust each other completely, and their protection of each other is so sweet. They always have each other's back.
The beautiful Canadian rainforest setting, with all the wonderfully described flora and fauna feels like another character of the book as well. It is so easy to picture the places and scenes, and I would love to visit there.
In this book the teens are starting to realise the true extent of their powers, to discover what they are capable of, and exactly how much danger they are in from the organisation that wants to capture them. They start to piece together the clues from what they have each found out, to work out what is going on. There are a range of supernaturals in this series, and also a subtle link to the characters from her other YA series- The Darkest Powers series (which you should also read BTW- it's amazing!).
It is a quintessential middle book, a "bridge" story with another cliff hanger at the end, but it was definitely worth the wait, and it filled my itch for a Kelley Armstrong book for a little while. Now I have another long wait until book 3 comes out!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Calling.