Shannon's Reviews > The Vagina Monologues

The Vagina Monologues by Eve Ensler

Feb 22, 08

bookshelves: queer
Recommended for: feminists who don't feel like thinking too hard
Read in January, 2007

There's a lot to critique about this - but I really don't feel like getting into it. I will say this, though: Eve Ensler doesn't know what a vagina is. If you're unclear: a vagina is "the passage leading from the uterus to the vulva in certain female mammals". Everyone in this play says "vagina" when they really usually mean "vulva". I'm not being oddly specific, they are completely different parts of the anatomy. COME ON. Vulva is a prettier word than vagina anyway. I liked the reclaiming cunt speech. That was about it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Vagina Monologues.

message 1: by Tortla (new)

Tortla This review is kind of hilarious.

Shannon Vagina monologues... like.. TALKING VAGINAS? Ew!

message 3: by Tortla (new)

Tortla lulz at joan.

Aaron Talking Vaginas? I now have a very, very surreal image in my head.

Astrid Yes, the vagina-vulva confusion has always bothered me, too.

message 6: by Pat (new)

Pat Shackleford "feminists who don't feel like thinking too hard" Somehow I thought a man wrote this review

Shannon I am not a man, sorry if I disturbed your delicate gender schema regarding manly/womanly goodreads reviews.

message 8: by Pat (new)

Pat Shackleford I don`t mind I rather be wrong when I think it`s a man. Than when I`m wrong when I think it`s a woman.

message 9: by Michelle (new)

Michelle I cringe at the hair part where she talks about hairy vaginas when the hair she's talking about is on the vulva...ugh.