Ryan's Reviews > The Echo Maker

The Echo Maker by Richard Powers

May 28, 08

Read in May, 2008

I will look back on this and see it as a mistake. I should not pass judgment on a book that I haven't finished, and should keep quiet about my displeasure with a novel that seems to be universally loved. I know (because it always happens) that I will look back and realize how dumb I am.

Even so, I am fighting my way through Powers's writing. Is there anyone out there who feels the same? Is there no one who also feels that the writing comes off as amateurish and sentimental, and who is exhausted by its neo-realist (in the worst, most naive sense) style?

It's sad that I have been driven to make this first post only by a book that I don't like. I suppose I was completely perplexed as to why I cant find anyone saying anything bad about it. It even won the National Book Award. I must be wrong. I am probably wrong. I'll realize this when I am older.
8 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Echo Maker.

message 1: by Liz (new) - rated it 1 star

Liz "Is there no one who also feels that the writing comes off as amateurish and sentimental, and who is exhausted by its neo-realist (in the worst, most naive sense) style? :

Completely agree...who is judging these books?

Hated it.

Kmkoppy Well, I'm "older" and I actually finished the book, but wish I hadn't wasted my time. It's kind of like choosing wine - just because it gets good reviews from the connoisseurs, doesn't make it a good wine, and I think the same goes for books.