Tina's Reviews > Wolfblade

Wolfblade by Jennifer Fallon

Feb 22, 08

bookshelves: sff-fantasy
Recommended for: people who like Female protagonists in high fantasy
Read in February, 2008

As I sat and started to read this book, I found myself snuggling deeper into my comfy chair, asking my husband for a glass of wine and happy that the kids were occupied elsewhere. This is one of those fantasy books that is like comfort food. It is familiar, yummy, satisfying without being too heavy, and yet too much of it may not be very good for you.

It takes place in a typical fantasy setting, namely a vaguely medieval setting with royalty, sorcerers and a recognizable caste system. The cast of characters are very approachable with cool names life Wolfblade, Lionsclaw, Ravenspear etc. There are a few plot surprises, plus some great moments of understated humor to keep the story moving along.

The main protagonist, Marla Wolfblade, is quite a nitwit in the beginning, but she is gifted with a calculating slave who wants to survive at all costs. He believes that making sure she learns political craft is the answer to both their continued survival. It is nice to see Marla's growing and learning process. Until the end where the reader sees how very much Marla has learned about the politics of survival.

And even though, Marla is clearly the main character, she doesn't carry the bulk of the book. The book boasts a large cast of characters who all plot for gain or survival. Even the main villain has a reason for the things they do that isn't necessarily all evil. I always like it when a villain isn't just there for the sake of villainy.

As i was reading the book, I couldn't help but be reminded of Raymond Feist/Janny Wurts' Empire trilogy that featured a character named Mara. The plot of a young member of a ruling house have to learn deadly state craft in order to survive runs strongly through both series. And I think that anyone who liked that one would like this one too.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wolfblade.