Kate's Reviews > Death Masks

Death Masks by Jim Butcher

Apr 13, 11

bookshelves: fantasy, humour, urban-fantasy
Read from April 11 to 12, 2011

Another great romp by Jim Butcher. No one else can weave multiple action-packed storylines into a cohesive, can't-put-it-down whole like Butcher can, and Death Masks is a great example of that.

The demons introduced in this book are fascinating, and the religious theory behind them - and those who fight them - is equally engaging. The political machinations touched off in the previous book, dealing with the war between the White Council and the Red Court, are elaborated on, and still manage to stay intriguing and beguiling, rather than taking a turn for the pedantic or expository.

The paperback edition I read had some errors scattered throughout - the most egregious was that one instant, Harry was creating a shield without his bracelet focus, while a paragraph later, the missing bracelet burned him. Uh, guys, time for an editor to actually check these things...

There was also a bit of a plot hole dealing with a barely mentioned but clearly powerful and somewhat important side character/hired hand...she appears, wreaks some havoc, and vanishes again, yet seems IMPORTANT somehow. I'm wondering if this was intentional, if she and/or her organization will turn up in a later book. I hope so, because otherwise it's a heck of an untied plot thread.

Still, another rip-roaring Dresden adventure, complete with secondary characters who are every bit as compelling as Harry himself, if not more. Susan and Ebenezer are definitely two of my favourites in the series.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Death Masks.

04/11/2011 page 91
21.0% "Good stuff, as always..."
04/12/2011 page 198
46.0% "Surprisingly light on the action for a Dresden book, at least so far. Only two demons!"