Susan's Reviews > The Part Time Vegan: 201 Yummy Recipes That Put the Fun in Flexitarian

The Part Time Vegan by Cherise Grifoni

2502054
Apr 11, 11

Read in April, 2011

I’ve been trying to add more vegetarian recipes to my family’s menu, so when I saw “The Part-Time Vegan” available on BookSneeze®.com, I thought it was timely and decided to give it a try.

The book is nicely laid out and there are certainly plenty of recipes. A couple of things I did not like about the book itself was that there were no photos. I like to have at least a few photos in a cookbook to help you get an idea of how the food looks. I also didn’t really like the author’s writing style. It was a bit sarcastic and had some mild curse words which are really not needed in a cookbook.

Overall, this book wasn’t what I really was looking for. First of all, there are too many recipes containing soy. I am allergic to it, I can’t eat it. I am aware that soy is a diet staple of vegans, but I honestly thought there would be more recipes that would focus on other protein sources besides soy, such as beans. As far as I’m concerned this book uses soy and other meat replacements far more than it has to. Also, many of the ingredients are items that are not easily found in my area and can be a bit on the expensive side.

Quite a few of the recipes sound pretty tasty, but most were not items my family would remotely eat. The whole point of this book is suppose to be “part-time” veganism. So, I thought it would be a bit more main-stream. This is not the book for a meat eating family who is just trying to add some vegetarian meals to their menu. I do think that it is a great beginning vegan cookbook for a person really interested in transitioning to a full-time vegan diet, but that’s just not us. Overall, I wouldn’t suggest this book to anyone who doesn’t have the intentions of going vegan full-time.

NOTICE:
Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the BookSneeze®.com book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Part Time Vegan.