Cathy 's Reviews > Familyhood

Familyhood by Paul Reiser

Clearly I loved this book, I gave it five stars. I don't clearly remember Reiser's first two books, only that I loved them, which with my terrible memory is says a lot. They were, if not the very first, very close to the first two audiobooks I ever listened to. And he started me out right! If you haven't read them, give them a try. And then read this. Or read this first, either way.

The guy has that thing that great comedians have to have where he notices the small details about daily life that are special, and then he knows how to make them either absurd or touching, or both, which makes for a really funny and touching book. I kept wanting to quote passages here and on Twitter and to my friends, especially those with kids, but after the third or fourth urge (and I never had a pen and paper, one of the hazards of listening to audiobooks in the car) I realized it would soon be annoying because I'd be doing it all of the time, and I'd have to hope people would read the book. Even people who don't have children themselves will find a lot to relate to in this book. I don't have children, but I thought about my niece, and about my dear friend's kids who are my best buddies as well, and about all of the kids that I've loved over the years. And even more, I thought about all of my friends who are parents and everything that they go through every day. It was as much, if not more, about that than about what it's like to have kids yourself and It was a good window into that experience. So I think that it has something for everyone, whether or not you are a parent. Unless you just hate families. If you hate loving families, this isn't the book for you. Especially if you hate to laugh too.

I highly recommend the audiobook version, hearing the humor, and the love, in his own voice adds so much to the experience. Things that might generate chuckles or seem somewhat endearing on the page are just laugh-out-loud funny or are incredibly sweet when you hear the Reiser tell the story for himself. This would be a great book for a couple to listen to during a car trip while the kids are watching a movie or listeing to music in the back seat - make them wonder what you're laughing about! And why you're looking at them with such love in your eyes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Familyhood.

06/03/2011
25.0% "As good as I expected. He's still smart and funny. I keep wanting to quote him to you guys but it would quickly get out of control."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Robash Sandhu I disagree with you completely..I don't have a family of my own but I can appreciate families as well as humour..I am very open minded and love to laugh which is why I picked up this book...but this book is just...not special at all...there is nothing really interesting in it...its just a typical family with stories that have been heard a million times over from a million other familes..eg, the whole thing of Reisner taking photos of the kids with grandma and having to switch the memory card...this is classic 1960's sitcom material...do you read a lot of books or just every so often? maybe you dont have the time to read more compelling books? anyway, This book to be was dull and lifeless and going through the motions. Happy reading. Read my review for an alternative review, its the exact opposite of yours lol...i also mention the audio