Patrick Gibson's Reviews > The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

The Demon-Haunted World by Carl Sagan

Apr 11, 11

bookshelves: truth_sort-of
Read in April, 2011

I have been on a Sagan jag these past few days re-reading some of my favorites.

This is one of his best.

Brace yourself for an engrossing discussion on the subject of science in relation to our modern world.

Go back in history to the beginning of time and trace the development of scientific, and not so scientific, thought leading up to the present day. Delve into the relationships between science, religion, magic, alien life forms, and many more fascinating interfaces that you may never have contemplated before. An extraordinarily well written text that brings scientific principles to the common man in understandable fashion. Carl Sagan may be gone, but with this work, he certainly will not be forgotten.

This is an insightful look into the credulity that has and does plague humankind. Dr. Sagan gives many credible examples of how superstitious and uninformed beliefs continue to be propagated even as our knowledge of reality increases. He makes a passionate plea for science to hold firmly to the scientific to illuminate understanding reality. Without such a method, discernment is not possible and humankind is doomed to gullibility and wishful existence.

Sagan makes a special plea to scientists and politicians to focus on informing the public on the essence and utility of science; and how it can give them the tools they need to move beyond ancient myths and into the modern age of science and discovery.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Demon-Haunted World.