Patrick Gibson's Reviews > Do It; Scenarios of the Revolution

Do It; Scenarios of the Revolution by Jerry Rubin

Apr 11, 11

bookshelves: truth_sort-of
Read in April, 2011

Flea Market bookseller comes through again.
I think I sort of remember when this book was everywhere. I might have even owned a copy at one time. But I missed the hippie age by a few years—so even if I had this book, even then, I probably considered it antiquated from another era.
I am glad to have another cringe inducing chance to turn flush and embarrass myself.
No one captured the drug-crazed revolutionary spirit of the time more than Jerry Rubin. (Except, I sort of remember ‘Steal This Book’ as its contemporary equal).
Intellectually, it isn't much. Maybe that is part of the reason every hippie carried this copy like a new-born evangelist caries a copy of the Bible under the arm like a five day pad.
But it's a wild self-indulgent, absurd, stoned insight into the hypocrisy of everyday people, tearing at the walls of illusion so many hide behind.
People secure in their delusions wrote this off as garbage, yet it fueled the fire of youthful rebellion like gasoline. There's something very potent about Rubin's message. But there's also something very self-destructive, indulgent, and irrational. In any event, an entertaining read from past rebels without a cause.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Do It; Scenarios of the Revolution.