Regine's Reviews > The Graveyard Book

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

May 13, 11

bookshelves: children-s-lit, horror, owned
Read from April 12 to 22, 2011

This is my third book into Neil Gaiman. So far I'm underwhelmed.

I've read Coraline-- a mediocre reincarnation of Alice in Wonderland; The Dangerous Alphabet, which doesn't hold a stick next to Edward Gorey's The Gashlycrumb Tinies, and now I've read The Graveyard Book. The book was one big long meh.

I had a big problem with how self-contained each of the chapters were. I felt that ever chapter was a short-story, and then Gaiman would go back and add little details so that it would all make sense in the end. But there was no flow, no unity in between the chapters.

It felt anticlimatic as well. All of the chills and thrills were in the very first chapter. It sort of dwindlesdown from there.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Graveyard Book.

04/12/2011 page 35
11.0% 2 comments
04/21/2011 page 212
69.0% 2 comments
show 2 hidden updates…

Leah Love this book!

Kwesi 章英狮 Regine, same here.

message 3: by K.D. (new)

K.D. Absolutely Regine: I knew it. Somebody who has the tenacity to finish reading the 175 letters of crazy people like Merteuil, Valmont and Rosemonde will have a hard time connecting with a Gaiman book ha ha.

*kidding*

Seriously, the books I just finished recently? They can influence my rating and review of the books I am reading and will be rating soon.

So when you review this book, erase Dangerous Liaisons. Think of The Velveteen Rabbit instead.

Regine I read Coraline before Dangerous Liaisons and gave it 3 stars as well.

message 5: by Emir Never (new)

Emir Never I like the review above. Reminds me how some of us get ditched.

Regine lol. This isn't even a review!

message 7: by Emir Never (new)

Emir Never Still, I can relate. ;)

message 8: by Jakob (new) - added it

Jakob I'm a big Gaiman fan but I haven't read any of the books you mention :P

His masterpiece is the graphic novel series called the Sandman. American Gods is a favorite book of mine and the collaboration he did with Terry Pratchett, Good Omens, is genius :)

message 9: by Jakob (new) - added it

Jakob Stardust is also a remarkably easily digested fantasy.

Regine I've heard really good things about American Gods, so that might be the next Gaiman book I read. Thanks for the suggestions!

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I believe American Gods to be his greatest work. Everything else pales in comparison with the exemption of the Sandman series and a handful of his short stories which can be found in "Fragile Things" and "Smoke and Mirrors" are also very good.