David Crandall Crandall's Reviews > The Dip: A Little Book That Teaches You When to Quit

The Dip by Seth Godin

Apr 11, 11

Read in March, 2010

"I always enjoy what Seth Godin has to say so choosing this book was easy.

The book was an eye opening dose of what some might view as obvious, but whenever the obvious is put succinctly it always makes a great impact. Basically, the dip is that point in time when an endeavor starts requiring more effort than the reward seems to be paying off. Godin indicates that there are times when no more reward will come (think dead-end job) and that it is time to get out. There are also times when there is a dip but staying committed leads to big payoffs that no one else benefits from since they have already quit.

The best take-away I got out of this was that we can turn a dead-end situation in to something that can reap rewards if we know how and have already reached the decision that there is nothing to lose by doing so. There are a few things that I will be applying that information to immediately. Very freeing to think that you can turn situations around that otherwise might seem lost.

Obviously, there are more details than that, mostly how to identify the different situations for when you should quit or stick it out. Overall, a very insightful yet short read. I recommend it as it will take most people only an evening to read.

Read it. Your career just might thank you for it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dip.