K2 -----'s Reviews > The Grace of Silence: A Memoir

The Grace of Silence by Michele Norris

Jun 09, 11

Read in April, 2011

I thoroughly enjoyed the pace of this book and the way she told her family's story about race in America. I do not know her work on NPR as I quit listening years ago, but she is a talented writer and skilled journalist.

As Obama rose to become the first African American president she began examining race in America in a new light and wanted to understand how it played a role in her own family's life. Her parents were both hard working postal workers who were proud and encouraged their daughters to work hard and be the best they could be. Her father's roots were in Birmingham a community she visited each summer to be with her grandparents. Her dad served in WWII and had high hopes that the acceptance of African Americans, in the service, would give them a more equal footing when they were discharged. Brutally her father learned this was not the case in his home town and headed up north to make a better life for himself and his future family.

Norris has a great way of personalizing the race conflict during this time but also the lingering anger that remains in the hearts of many blacks and whites who live in the South and beyond. I have read many books about race relations and I found this a worthwhile read that takes you there and makes you think about it long after the book has been digested. I think this would make a great book club book. Well done!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Grace of Silence.