Annie McElfresh's Reviews > Griffin Rising (Book One)

Griffin Rising (Book One) by Darby Karchut

Apr 11, 11

bookshelves: 4-stars
Read in April, 2011

My Thoughts:

This novel really grew on me. I've read a lot of angel books this year, but GRIFFIN RISING was unlike any of the other angel YA novels I've read lately. The main character suffered throughout a lot of abuse from his first mentor Nicopolis in the beginning of the novel. Basil couldn't have come into the picture soon enough and saved Griffin from his current situation. It kind of reminded me of the 3rd Karate Kid movie for some reason, where the mentor was out to purposely hurt his pupil and the good mentor comes in and saves the kid.

The love story between Kate and Griffin was totally sweet. Romance makes or breaks a book for me and this adventurous story had just the right balance for this plot. The moments between Kate and Griffin were some of my favorite in the whole book.

The other think I enjoyed about this novel was the presents of parents, which rarely happens in young adult stories. Most of the time the parents are non-existent.

Read this one if you want an angel book with a different spin.

More Reviews: Reading, Writing and Waiting
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Griffin Rising (Book One).

Darby Karchut Oh, Annie, thanks for your sweet review. You just made my day!

Susan I just heard there is going to be an early release for the Ebook version of this book on Amazon. April 16th!