Amy's Reviews > French Women Don't Get Fat: The Secret of Eating for Pleasure

French Women Don't Get Fat by Mireille Guiliano

Apr 20, 11

bookshelves: food
Recommended for: women who wanted to like In Defense of Food, but thought the author sounded like a jerk.
Read in April, 2011

So, I really liked this book while I was reading it. The readably breezy style is very supportive, and while the author might from time-to-time sound a bit Brad Goodman-esque* in her proclamations, her advice seems practical and eminently doable - of course I can take the stairs instead of the elevator, it's not problem to cram a few more glasses of water into my day, and obviously I'm only going to eat delicious foods that are satisfying in small portions. And while a consequence of this might be that my entire life revolves around food, the truth of the matter is that, if you're reading this book in the first place, it probably already does.

And that is not necessarily a bad thing. But once the reading ends, once the sunny voice of the author is no longer whispering in your ear the sweet encouragement of simple changes leading to dramatic results, you might start to make questionable decisions. Like having an entire block of cheese for lunch, followed up by donuts and chocolate for dinner. And though you might - rightly - consider all of those things delicious, this is not how a French woman eats.

All of this is to say, in a nutshell, that while the book is good, I don't know how much of a lasting impact it will really have on a person's dietary habits.

*Brad Goodman being the inspirational speaker on The Simpsons who famously** said "There's no trick to it; it's just a simple trick."

**By "famously", I of course mean "I remember it".

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read French Women Don't Get Fat.