Void lon iXaarii's Reviews > The Road to Serfdom

The Road to Serfdom by Friedrich A. Hayek

Apr 11, 2011

liked it

I usually avoid books this old but the author manages to build both strong explanations and simply mindblowing predictions by simply being very logical (to the point of often being quite hard to follow, but worth it). Some of the more memorable stuff he thus proves in quite exhaustive detail is the clear path some popular views (which have become even more so since) lead to socialism and how the logical development of socialism in a '2nd generation' must lead for similar reasons into something totalitarian of a fascist nature. It's amazing how he follows reason and analyzes all sorts of subtle aspects, exposing many subtle contradictions which tend to remain hidden. I was particularly surprised (especially considering when the book was written) how in his expression of post WW2 dangers he already anticipated that the issue of full employment will become a major issue and how in a misguided attempt to follow these views against reason there is a chance of governments pursuing this via inflation. The funny thing to me is that 99.9 percent of the book isn't about this, and this was just a sort of casual observation in a short pause from the major lines of reasoning. Oh, and also it seems to me like he predicted the EU path taken in recent decades. :P I warmly recommend this book for anybody wishing for a rigorous mental workout of the type otherwise not accessible to those without a mathematical inclination, and yet one that is of great relevance to very major real life issues in the lives of men such as ideals, prosperity or freedom.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Road to Serfdom.

06/01/2016 marked as: read