Noelle's Reviews > Where She Went

Where She Went by Gayle Forman

Apr 11, 2011

bookshelves: wyld-stallyns, ugly-cried
Read from April 14 to 15, 2011

I really liked how If I Stay ended and had definite reservations about the existence of a sequel. As I told Maggie, the only reason I saw for it to be written was that readers and the author liked Adam so much that they wanted to spend some more time with him. And since that was also undeniably true of this particular reader, it wasn't too hard to convince me to give Where She Went a chance.

You know how you make up for being totally unnecessary? Be totally freaking awesome.

Let's break it down:
Take one beloved yet shattered character.
Add a gallon of angst, sprinkle in some freaking hard decisions and two teaspoons of guilt.
Mix in a huge serving of consequences, two scoops of ice and my own cold cynical heart.
Put into a metaphorical blender. Press frappe.

That is one helluva cathartic smoothie. And dammit if it wasn't delicious. If I was being realistic I would say (view spoiler) and if that had been the ending, this book would have gotten 5 stars. Nonetheless, since the entire reason for this book spoke to my selfish and melodramatic natures, I happily devoured the extra pages.

PS. Who knows how many stars this would have gotten if Adam hadn't named his band SHOOTING STAR. (Mostly kidding. Mostly.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Where She Went.

04/14/2011 "Hmm. Didn't think it needed a sequel but I've seen some great reviews. And it's from Adam's POV? Consider my arm twisted." 3 comments
04/15/2011 page 75
28.0% "Oh, Adam, Adam, Adam. Your band name is bringing me down."

message 1: by Jo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jo LOL... bloody Shooting Star.
I agree with your spoiler! :)

Noelle That moment just felt RIGHT to end it. I was surprised it didn't actually. I remember looking at my Kindle percentage read and wondering if there was a huge author acknowledgement taking up the last 10% or so. Even so, I let myself get swept up in the actual ending--as long as I didn't think about it too much, ha!

PS. That band name! I had to put my Kindle down and shake my head and stare at my ceiling mouthing "but why?" for like two minutes.