Thomas's Reviews > The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Apr 10, 11

bookshelves: my-science-fiction-bookshelf, science-fantasy
Read in April, 2011

Wow. I can understand the reluctance that some parents may have with letting younger readers at the three books in the trilogy. There is a definite loss of innocence here that comes through in a very brutal fashion. Normally, we think of loss of innocence to have something to do with the opposite gender, but in this case, the loss is one of trust, though Katniss certainly has little to trust living in the Seam, part of what once was Appalachia in a former area known to the world as North America. This is a post apocalyptic and cruel world in which a young sixteen-year old girl seeks only to survive from day to day and keep her younger sister and mother alive. The story centers around a government (known only as the Capitol) that reminds its 13, now 12 districts that rebellion means death. The Hunger Games are the method, but when Katniss finds herself as one of the tributes in a battle to survive or die, she sets in motion a force that no man or government can stop - love. This is the first of a trilogy, and while I thought I could predict what might come to pass (and for the most part, did), I wasn't fully prepared for all the twists and turns this novel takes. Just to let you know, the narrative starts slow, almost to the point of dragging, but by the time the second part starts, I was hooked and had to be told by my wife to come to bed. That was last night. Tonight I finished it and look forward to reading the second book in the series, Catching Fire.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hunger Games.