Tammy Walton Grant's Reviews > The Man You'll Marry: The First Man You Meet\The Man You'll Marry

The Man You'll Marry by Debbie Macomber

Mar 10, 2012

did not like it
bookshelves: from-sandi, 2012-march, cheesy-harlequins, for-karla, harley-hell-2012, romance-contemporary, romance-wtf-is-this
Read from March 03 to 04, 2012 — I own a copy , read count: 1

You know when you eat something really super sweet and it makes you want to spit, and spit and spit the yucky taste out of your mouth?

No more Debbie Macomber for me.

I can handle fluffy, happy, light or feel-good romances, but when you throw in saccharine sweet, cloying and silly writing, with no character development, a goofy story (where the most believable character is a magic wedding dress) and NO SEX I can't take it. The characters are bland, boring and forgettable, and the novellas were much the same.

I could stand the second story a little better than the first - there was at least a bit of conflict in it, but I could tell from about 5 pages in that this author is simply not for me.

1 star.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Man You'll Marry.

message 1: by Karla (new)

Karla At least Harley Hell is letting us know which authors we will never ever want to read again. :D

Tammy Walton Grant You know, I read one of hers years ago (This Matter of Marriage) and remember it being kind of cute, but not as insipid as this one.

Did you see I got my hands on a Violet Winspear Sheik book!?!? Squee!

message 3: by Buggy (new)

Buggy LOL, Thanks Tamster, she's not for me either. I can't stand suger sweet, fluff books. Give me angst, scars and a bit of bloodshed anyday.

I have to wonder though what did you expect going in? I mean its about a magic wedding dress. You are a brave, brave reader, and I love ya for it

Tammy Walton Grant Buggy, I just saw this now, sorry!

Maybe she should have written about a possessed wedding dress, that turned the wearer into an axe-murderer, rather than a magic one that made the wearer get married.

Hmmm...guess there is a reason I'm not a best-selling author. :)

message 5: by Buggy (new)

Buggy I think I like the axe murderer theory more

message 6: by Reeds (new) - added it

Reeds If all you want is angst, why are you reading a happy-go-lucky author? Try Dickens or The Scarlet Letter they should be depressing enough for you.