John's Reviews > The Dark Tide

The Dark Tide by Josh Lanyon

Apr 15, 11

bookshelves: gay, mystery
Read from April 14 to 15, 2011

Delightful, actually. The film-noir atmosphere of the novel is something I enjoy steeping in, and here it's subtly well done. In some respects another body so soon after the conclusion of the previous story took a little suspended belief, yet twenty pages later I didn't give it a second thought. It's a little like realizing that your mother had successfully camouflaged the spinach and you'd swallowed it without complaint.

But, two things set The Dark Tide apart from the pack for me. First is that very intelligent little quotations from classic mysteries and classic films started popping up. Lots of Chandler, of course, but a few that are more subtle (which is to say I couldn't *prove* that they're even there) but all of which add an extra richness to the plot - and, indeed, the characters. Second is the very clever use of double-entendre and, well, the invitation to "read the story between the lines". Adrien may narrate this book, but his is not the only story here - and I find the way others' stories bubble up charming. Intelligent, well, crafted and charming.

Having finished the five-book series, I feel like I've been on an amusement park ride, an exciting one that I didn't expect to enjoy quite as much as I did. And happily, been very pleasantly returned safely to ground level.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dark Tide.