Cara St.Hilaire's Reviews > Carrots Love Tomatoes: Secrets of Companion Planting for Successful Gardening

Carrots Love Tomatoes by Louise Riotte

Apr 10, 11

Read in February, 2011

How have I gone so long without such a must-have, classic book? This rare treasure among a sea of gardening guides? Written originally in 1975 and updated in 1998, Carrots Love Tomatoes: Secrets of Companion Planting for Successful Gardening, published by the well-respected Storey Publishing, should be the bible which we all refer to when deciding where to thoughtfully place each plant in our garden. Who knew that beans and onions would hinder the growth of one another? And how did Louise Riotte know that planting celery near cauliflower would deter the white cabbage butterfly? There are no flashy photographs in this book nor dreamy prose. Yet there is such a wealth of information here dispersed among simple and informative drawings. If only I had known last year that dill may affect carrot growth in a negative way, I may have ended up with carrots that weren't the size of cocktail weenies. It truly does matter which veggies end up being neighbors. If you don't plant the right guys next to each other, you'll end up with HBO-worthy fighting over nutrients that will prevent one or both of them from flourishing.

Here are just a few great tips I learned from my new favorite book:
* basil helps keep tomatoes healthy from disease while improving growth and flavor
* beets and kohlrabi grow well together because they take soil nourishment at different levels
* broccoli is hindered by tomatoes

Pick this book up and you'll see how many great tips you can find to ensure your crop this year is the best it can be.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Carrots Love Tomatoes.