Kyle's Reviews > Fire Island

Fire Island by Burt Hirschfeld

Nov 18, 08

it was ok
bookshelves: new-york, schlock, sex, marital-infidelity, grasping-and-scheming, television, drugs
Read in August, 2007

Homophobic heterosexual hogwash. Women walk up to men, unzip their pants and give them blow jobs constantly. Sex scenes go on and on and use words like manhood, member and pulsating. It was amusing at first how bad it was, then it just became torture to get through after a while. Hirschfeld is a total hack. The best thing I can say about it is it's a period piece.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fire Island.

Luciano The story was set in the 60's and 70's, which was a wild, crazy, hedonistic time. Yes, there are a lot of sex scenes, but I didn't find them gratuitis in the least. If anything, they reflect and underscore the sexual depravity of the era.

Looking beyond that to the characters themselves, Hirschfeld creates real people, with real feelings, that are multi-dimensional and interact realistically; especially impressive as you watch them grow up through the 20 years on the Island, and the change of dynamics between the characters and their own sense of self.

Kyle I couldn't disagree more on the character development. They all seemed wooden to me. Hard to believe we read the same book. To each his own I guess.

message 3: by Joe (new)

Joe You gave yourself away with "homophobic." Man, what a useless "review." Did you read the book? There's nothing homophobic about it -- indeed, one main character is a closet homosexual, and one minor character IS a homosexual! Oh wait, there's a little anti-homosexual slandering in the dialog...so yes, of COURSE it's homophobic.

Only...the few people in the novel who say such things are screwed up themselves, blind to any of their own faults.

I don't know what I like least, your review, or that picture of you on your profile.

Kyle Wait, what did I give away? What is it you think you know about me from this review? Shall I go look at your profile picture and insult you now? Why such a strong reaction to a book review? Have I personally attacked you? Perhaps you are Hirschfeld and are mad that I called you a hack.

Joe wrote: "You gave yourself away with "homophobic." Man, what a useless "review." Did you read the book? There's nothing homophobic about it -- indeed, one main character is a closet homosexual, and one m..."