Madeline's Reviews > A Wrinkle in Time

bookshelves: 2008, pre-2007, own, favorites, school, reread
Recommended to Madeline by: Mom
Recommended for: everyone
Read in February, 2008

Of the books I read in the 3rd/4th grade, not many I enjoyed so thoroughly as this. At that time what I liked about it was that it was different--maybe I even liked how the concept of a tesseract made me think even though I didn't understand it.

For my English class I'm analyzing this book in respect to archetypes and figurative language, so it really interests me how much symbolism is in there. After doing some research I came across an interview (I don't remember where) in which L'Engle said how she didn't think, after several rejections, this book would ever be published; now I see that, in 1962, it would be a strange book. Certainly I'm glad it was published, becuase even though there are the archetypes are there, it's still not a book full of cliches: Meg, though she is a main character and heroine, is annoying and has many flaws, but not in the sence that she's too perfect, but like an average girl. Even Charles Wallace seems to be a believable character, and I find that I don't dislike any characters because of personalities that would be just like characters in a different book.

Overall: five stars--my first perfect rating for the year. For making a 9-year-old think about science, and because it may be part of the reason why I used to want to be a physicist, and that means a lot to me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Wrinkle in Time.